I’m always scheming the simplest recipe-hacks, like this Luscious Coconut Candy recipe.
It’s a cinch to whip up, and packs a gourmet-mouth-punch.
It’s also sugar-free, low-carb, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
Enjoy creamy flavor without batting an eyelash: these bad boys actually help stabilize blood sugar and insulin.
With The Goddess Lifestyle, you don’t have to backpedal just to enjoy a treat.
This recipe supports a lifestyle that holistically leverages optimal health, weight loss and maintenance, regular detoxification and cravings-control, and–just as important–actually enjoying your food!
Servings: Number of servings will vary depending on your freezer molds. With my mold, I can make around 15 hearts using this recipe.
Prep time: 3 minutes to combine all ingredients. 30-45 minutes in freezer.
- A fork, or a hand/immersion blender
- Silicone freezer molds (see Options + Suggestions section below)
(Candies pictured above are not a product of this recipe, but from the silicone mold manufacturer)
- 2/3 cup refined coconut oil1 (either soft semi-solid room-temperature, or heated to a liquid)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract2* (with alcohol)
- 1/2 tsp finely ground pink salt (or to taste)
- dusting of stevia* (to taste)
See options below for brand suggestions, and alternative ingredient ideas.
1 I’ve experimented with both refined and unrefined/virgin coconut oil. Refined works best, as its neutral flavor most harmoniously embraces accompanying flavors.
2 I prefer vanilla extract with alcohol (vs. alcohol-free varieties) because alcohol doesn’t freeze. I’ve found the addition of alcohol-based extracts leverages a preferred overall frozen consistency for this recipe.
*Ideally, use organic fair trade oils, herbs, spices, and/or extracts.
You can use either
- soft semi-solid room-temperature refined coconut oil, or
- heated, liquefied refined coconut oil.
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl to evenly distribute. A hand/immersion blender does the trick. Though I often use the back of a fork to thoroughly mash soft semi-solid coconut oil with the other ingredients.
Spoon evenly blended mixture into silicone freezer mold(s).
Place mold(s) in freezer for at least 30-40 minutes, or overnight.
If you don’t want to wait overnight, you will need to test to see if the candy is fully solidified/frozen. You will know mixture is set and ready to eat once the candies feel solid to the touch. To test, gently press your finger to the candy’s exposed side. Keep in mind: the outside will harden first. If not much time has passed, you may need to pop one “sacrificial” candy out and break it open or bite it; if the center is still semi-soft, the candies aren’t yet fully frozen.
Store candies in freezer.
When you’re ready to eat them, pop desired number of candies from silicone mold(s).
Out of the freezer, candies will remain solid for around 30-45 minutes. After this time, they will begin to “sweat.” Don’t worry: candies are stable and won’t go bad, but will begin to lose their shape and solidity. Simply slip any uneaten, softening candies back into freezer mold(s) and place back in freezer. Enjoy another time.
OPTIONS + SUGGESTIONS
- Any refined coconut oil will work. I like organic, fair trade varieties like this one from Nutiva.
- Be creative: in place of vanilla extract, try using a drizzle of maple syrup (blend evenly into heated liquefied coconut oil), or maple flavor extract, butterscotch extract, peppermint extract, lemon extract, coffee extract, or 1/2 Tbsp of strongly brewed coffee.
- This has been my favorite stevia for the past decade: Kal Pure Stevia Organic Extract — 1.3 oz.
- I love my heart-shaped silicone freezer molds. An array of other shape-options are available for silicone freezer molds.
- For hand/immersion blenders, I prefer stainless steel construction (vs. plastic), so no toxins can leech into my food. This is an affordable, durable stainless steel hand/immersion blender.
Really got a lot out of this post? I empower you with even more provocative, taboo–and delicious–nutrition and lifestyle guidance in my premium training program, TOTAL CRAVINGS CLEANSE. Learn more about it here.
If you’re not on my list for FREE updates, be sure you sign up in the box below!
And share this post with three friends. I’m sharing life-changing, provocative evidence-based research with you because I know how frustrating the world of conflicting nutrition suggestions can be, and I’m committed to helping you become a radiant, satisfied–and informed–Goddess. What I’m sharing with you doesn’t cost you a cent, but if you find this info helpful, share this post with three friends as payment.
Images: Copyright 2014 Erika Herman